We custom design aeration systems that will properly oxygenate the
entire water column preventing stratification (thermocline formation) and making the entire ecosystem healthier.
A pond is easier to manage and will have a longer lifespan than a pond with anaerobic
and toxic conditions within the water column. The top of your pond is flat but the bottom usually has contours
and features that must be taken into consideration to design the aeration system properly.
We use our experience combined with all of the technology available to us such as
our bathymetric mapping service to create
the best design possible for your body of water.
To fit your needs, budget and preferences we offer the following options to help you install a properly designed aeration system we offer several options to make this solution affordable to you.
- Design a custom aeration system using detailed depth information we collect on your pond
- Fully install that aeration system
- Provide you with a aeration kit for you to install yourself to save labor costs
Aeration prevents stratification which is a harmful situation in a lake or pond. A thermocline sets up between the warmer water at the surface and cooler water near the bottom. Once this separation takes place, the water trapped at the bottom quickly becomes devoid of oxygen making it inhabitable for life. Worse yet the loss of oxygen creates a domino effect leading to more harmful conditions. Carbon dioxide concentrations increase making this water more acidic. The bacteria present on the pond bottom that were decomposing nutrients are now forced to operate in anaerobic (in the absence of oxygen) conditions. Bacterial decomposition in anaerobic conditions results in black muck and hydrogen sulfide production which is toxic to fish. The lack of oxygen also allows phosphorous to become unbound and migrate into the water column which feeds the algae growth near the surface.
Turn over is an event where the two separate water masses in a stratified lake or pond suddenly mix. This usually happens during the spring and fall when the weather and temperatures change but can also happen with other triggers such as a storm event. A turnover can lead to a fish kill as the toxic water from the bottom contaminates the entire water column. The sudden change in oxygen levels and change in pH can lead to a very unpleasant few days of collecting dead fish from the waters edge.
By mixing oxygen into the water and keeping it at the sediment-water interface it maintains biological activity which reduces nutrients. The oxygen also keeps the phosphate bound in an inert state so that it does not contribute to the algae growth above. The improved water quality also benefits zooplankton and increases their population. Zooplankton benefit a body of water by phytoplankton populations, such as algae, down.
Aeration is a beneficial and safe technique to improve any body of water. By insuring that oxygen is thoroughly mixed into the entire water column to the sediment-water interface the livable space is increased for the fish within, phosphorus remains bound and nutrients are reduced. All of this leads to a healthier more easily managed lake or pond.
A short list of the benefits of a properly designed, installed and maintained aeration system:
- Eliminate stratification (thermoclines) and the harmful conditions that develop
- Improve gas and chemical exchange between the bottom and the surface
- Increase usable habitat
- Introduce oxygen into the water column
- Release carbon dioxide from the water
- Reduce hydrogen sulfide, ammonia, methane and other gasses created through normal natural bacterial action
- Reduce the potential for fish kills
- Increase the activity of the beneficial benthic organisms
- Increase the fish carrying capacity of the pond
- Reduce the nutrients available to the unwanted algae
- Reduce chemical usage to control unwanted aquatic plant growth
- Reduce phosphate levels by promoting removal from the water as oxygen and iron in the soil bind and trap the compound
- Prevent stagnation
- Reduce odors
- Reduce planktonic algae levels